Witcher Devs release REDkit RPG Building Tools
Today, CD Projekt RED who is the team behind The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings has released what they are calling the REDkit today for everyone to enjoy and make their own non-linear RPG experience.
Build the RPG of Your Dreams with REDkit
CD Projekt RED releases the tools behind The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (PC)
May 9, 2013. Warsaw. CD Projekt RED announces the launch of REDkit, the ultimate set of tools for crafting non-linear role-playing adventures. Available for free via http://thewitcher.com/redkit, REDkit is based on the development tools used to create CD Projekt RED’s award-winning game, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. The editor has just entered its open beta phase, allowing everyone who is waiting for The Witcher 3 to go back to the previous installment of the series and create new, amazing content or just play around with other modders' creations.
REDkit gives modders of all skill levels the tools, they need to tell non-linear tales full of branching plots, believable characters and far-reaching consequences for player actions. Without learning to program or wrangling with opaque editors, game creators can use the top-quality art and assets from The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings or import their own, as well as intuitive tools for environment creation, to craft their own unique role-playing adventures.
"For CD Projekt RED, RPGs are all about telling amazing stories," said Adam Badowski, head of CD Projekt RED. "We want to give players the power to tell the same kind of non-linear, branching stories that made The Witcher games so popular. Our fans have helped us for years to make our games the best they can be, and REDkit is part of embracing our community as a partner in game development."
• Intuitive tools developed for all would-be storytellers and game designers
• Complex and user-friendly terrain tools, including the SpeedTree foliage system
• Utilize the astonishing graphics and visuals that power The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
• Create a realistic and dynamic day and night cycle in a few clicks
• Implement non-linear stories and quests with a unique quest system that allows player decisions to impact the game world and plot
• Build believable characters, NPCs, and entire communities and set their interactions with the player
• Place dialogue cameras automatically or manually to create a filmlike experience
If you've ever wanted to create your own RPG world it seems like this would be a great tool to do so and it's FREE! Check it out here.