Star Wars: Battlefront 3 Still A Possibility?
If you haven't seen it already, there's a video going around showing the cancelled Battlefront 3's gameplay at 99% completion. Say what you will about the state of the game but everyone that has played the original and the sequel have been patiently (or impatiently) waiting for the next installment. With the cancelled Battlefront 3 seemingly putting an end to that wait; it seems there is a new hope after all.
An indie group is currently working on a "spiritual successor" if you will and shall utilize CryEngine 3. This engine is the same one used to create Crysis 3, so we know it won't lack in the power department. As of right now, the project has been dubbed Star Wars: Battlecry and will hopefully be in the alpha stage of development sometime later this year. The indie developers themselves stated the official mission for what this game is intended to bring to gamers. ”Dedicated to bringing you the Battlefront experience once again but with the possibility of all new game modes never before seen in the Battlefront series and seamless ground-to-space combat creating some of the biggest battles ever seen in a Star Wars game."
Sadly at this time, not a lot of details have been given regarding what one could actually expect from this spiritual successor but here is a list containing some of the bits of information we do know:
- completely free, standalone game that runs on CryEngine 3
- no port for consoles
- the game will most likely be multiplayer only. Single player campaign only if popular enough
- there will be an option to switch between 1st and 3rd person views
- some customization of classes, but nothing that strays too far from original Battlefront titles
- there will be ground maps with usable aircraft. Space-to-ground is a possibility
- maximum of 32 players either side, depends on how the engine copes with the high demand
Wow... I'm one of the people that go on huge rants as to why we still haven't seen a Battlefront 3 to this day. All the possibilities that this franchise could have and could possible have if the indie developers do this project the right way. I easily see this standing among games like Halo and Call of Duty and free no less? I'll be keeping an eye on how this game evolves over time.